Skip to main content

My audiology appointment

About a month ago I had an appointment with an audiologist at the Royal Free Hospital in Bath. The purpose was to discover if, as the majority of tinnitus suffers do I have a hearing loss.

I was taken into a sound proof room for the test. After being asked about my hearing and the issues I am having with tinnitus I was handed headphones to put on and a push button. The audiologist explained the test and with head phones he proceeded to test my hearing. This was done by playing sounds at frequencies between 250 hz and 8000 hz.

Once over I was shown the results which showed that it is pretty normal across the range in both ears. So this meant that I am not a suitable candidate for a hearing aid.

The audiologist suggested the Hearing Therapy should be something I should consider. I agreed and he wrote to St Martin's where the local hearing therapy team is based to ask for me to be seen by one of the therapists.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blood Test Results

 The pre-treatment blood test is important to ensure that patients are capable of with standing the toxic effects of the chemotherapy drugs. My neutrophil and Alt levels have cause deferment over the past few months. This weeks blood test results are ok so Monday's infusion will go ahead. That's Monday morning at 9:30 am definitely early! 

Chemotherapy Cycle 20

My 20th infusion occurred on August 23rd a week later than expected due to last week's abscess. Blood test was on Mondayand while the Neutrophils were in the normal range at 2.6, the Liver function test ALT was high at 131, up from 89 four weeks previously. This result need Dr Webb, my consultant's approval before the chemotherapy could go ahead. Drugs can only be ordered from the hospital Pharmacy once approval has been given so there was a two-hour delay befor ethe drugs arrived. All went well and I was discharged only around 45 minutes later than expected. Just needed Corsodyl mouthwash in the way of drugs this cycle. The next step on this journey is pump removal on Friday and CT scan on 29th August.

Oncologist consultation

 I have a quarterly appointment with my oncology consultant, Dr David Webb or one of his team every three month. Last week my appointment was with one of his team and two Mcmillan nurses, Sue and Jo. The oncologist asked how Iam coping with the treatment having had 20 chemotherapy infusions. I told her that I continue to tolerate the drugs very well and am managing most of the key side-effects well and continue to search for solutions for the others. She then told me that the recent CT Scan showed that the two growths remain stable, and the Blood CEA marker has recently fallen to 2, the lowest since November 2021. Most pleasing. She then asked if I wished to have a break, which I declined an ordered a further 12 infusions.