Skip to main content

Posts

Another blood test with low neutrophils

My blood test taken at Bognor Regis War memorial Hospital yesterday revealed another low neutrophil level, this time at 1.3. As 1.5 is the protocol level tomorrow's chemotherapy infusion is postponed.  A phone call from Amberley Unit confirmed the delay, Louise will phone with a new appointment and a blood test form will be posted out. 

A visit to my consultant and then holiday

Week commencing 5th June was busy. On Monday there was IAA Judging held at the former London Transport Head Office in Broadway, central London. Wednesday visited Peter H in Sussexdown, and found him to be the most alert and chatty this year. He had new hearing aids that seemed to have made a significant difference. Thursday met Dr Webb for a three monthly appointment. He revealed that the growth remains stable and the CEA blood marker has been at 3 for the two most recent tests. Good news indeed and the treatment continues. Another appointment in September. We did discuss neutrophils with him as well as the side effects. Taking collogen was positively acknowledged, but B12 for neuropathy was questioned. It seems there is not much evidence to support that it improves nerve recovery. After the consultation I had a PICC line flush and redress at the Amberley Unit. Friday, we drove to Frome and onto Exmouth on Saturday.

A CT Scan and Blood test

Four appointments this week, CT scan at Southlands on Tuesday at 9.40 am. A blood test at Shoreham Health Centre at 3.45 pm, their calendar indicated 10.45 am, my card recorded 12.15 pm, rearranged to 3.45 pm. The neutrophil level from the blood test is at 2.9 so my chemotherapy will happen on Friday. 

A second cancelled chemotherapy appointment

My blood test on Wednesday revealed a low neutrophil level at 1.2 Too low for treatment today. Infusion 16 has been delayed by one week until next Friday. This brings a rearrangement of the subsidiary IV appointments including the pre-holiday PICC line service. The delay means that I will have had a 4 week gap between infusions followed by a three week gap. The most recent CEA test result was 4 so a further fall into the normal range!

Another Chemotherapy Appointment

My blood test showed that my neutrophil level was up to 2.4, double the result from the previous week. The nurse managing the treatment was Pip and was a delight. The treatment caused some nausea that crystalised ginger held control. All the side-effects from the previous infusion were relatively simple to manage. the potential chest infection is still an issue, the sputum sample has not shown a type of infection so a doctor's appointment is made for Tuesday so hopefully a route to a solution can be found.

Cancelled Chemotherapy Appointment

The results of Monday's blood test indicates that my Neutrophil level is too low to proceed with this week's chemotherapy infusion. The Hospital protocol requires a level of 1.5 and my test result showed 1.2. Hopefully this will rebound for next week's blood test so that my treatment can continue promptly. I did have an appointment with my GP yesterday regarding what is likely to be an ongoing chest infection. A sputum sample has been requested, if and when I can produce one. Further to this a 24-hour heart monitor is also coming my way.

Cycle 13

  My blood CEA marker is at 5 again! Excellent.