Skip to main content

Colon Resection Surgery

Appoint with Mr Baig to review the diagnosis made from the Colonoscopy and the CT scan at the multi-disciplinary team meeting. The recommendation was a colon resection to remove the tumour and surrounding colon. 

The operation was planned for 25th August with pre-op appoint on 17th and Stoma training on 23rd.

Arrived at the Chanctonbury Suite at 7.30 am for preparation for the operation. This included taking a lot of tablets, putting on pressure socks and changing into a theatre dress. The nurse also covered the previously signed consent form. 

Once ready I was walked to the anaesthetic preparation room climbed on the table and had a canula needle  inserted  in to the back of my have. while this was being done one of the anesthetise team talked to me about his training and career. He had been at the RD&E and reminisced about pubs that he frequented when he lived in Exeter.

I don't recall being put under at around 9 am, but when I came to at about 4 pm I was greeted by Mr Baig who told me that the operation was completed to his optimal expectation and that he did not need to leave me with a stoma. what a relief! There were three insertions, 2 small cuts on the right of my abdomen and a longer one down the  centre through my navel. The operation was completed by laparoscopy as was Mr Baig's best hope. He also told me that he had telephoned Lynda after coming out of theatre just after 1 pm.

Following the operation I had 5 nights in a 6 bed side ward on Chiltington Ward. There were 8 other patients who occupied the other beds during the time that I was on the ward. The first night was very uncomfortable. I was out of bed on the second day and had a walk down the corridor late afternoon. By the third day I was able to explore the second floor more and by the evening I went down to the see the penguins in the serenity garden with one of the other patients. I went down by lift and walked slowly back up the stairs to the second floor.

Food was adequate, my meals were small as the colon need to recover. One unexpected challenge was an allergic reaction to a lamb casserole on the Sunday evening. This was one of the dishes felt safe for me on the limited menu that was created the catering manager for me. I believe that there was a spice in the ingrediencies  that triggered the reaction. I was given antihistamine to help calm things. 

When the registrar did her ward round on the Monday morning, day 6 I was offer the opportunity to go home that day, August Bank Holiday. I grabbed at the offer and phone the friend who had offered to collect me. I left the hospital around 6.30 pm and was home by 7 pm. Relieved and grateful for the care and treatment that I have recieved. 

My key post operative challenge was constipation. The Enhanced Recovery Programme nurse, Jayne Munday suggested orange juice, walking and chewing gum help the digestive system return to a better condition. It worked.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reaction to Omnipaque

Had my quarterly CT Scan at Southlands Hospital's new Community Diagnostic Centre yesterday. The scan required a contrast dye to reveal the cancerous growths and Omnipaque was used. This was the same chemical as the previous scan in August. On this occasion I seemed to have a reaction with heightened feeling of warming, sneezing during the scan, sudden runny nose and irritated eyes. This has not happened during past scans.  Because of the mid-scan sneeze a second scan was done. Unlike previous CT Scans I was allowed to leave the hospital without the usual 15 minute wait to ensure that I did not have any side effect. Odd. Will discuss with my consultant at the next appointment.

Chemotherapy infusion Cycle 21

 My infusion yesterday was managed by Baki the only male nurse on the Amberley unit. I think that he set the rate of the infusion at 60 minutes which I fine too uncomfortable. It causes abdominal cramp and a higher level of nausea. I went in at 13:55 and left the unit at 15:45 more than an hour earlier than normal. The highlight of the appointment was a conversation with dietian Alexa. She has been helping me understand how to deal with my bloating and wind and has introduced me to the FODMAP diet that appears to be proving useful. From the last cycle I identified that bloating occurred from day 4 to day 11. I need to collect and understand the data.

Cancer Recovery Day 4

A full night’s sleep for the first time since the chemotherapy started on 4th November! Tongue still sore and administered a first dose of Nystan at 7.30 am for today. the swab result were returned to The Glebe Surgery today and Dr Wollaston will phone about them tomorrow. In the meantime, the NHS App has informed that the infection is caused Candida, three plus species found. This no doubt will confirm that Dr Woodham made the right diagnosis on Monday and prescribed Nystan correctly.  Spoke with Sid J, Peter H, Ann, Dennis H and Peter BD. BSC - 4 Blood pressure 145/76 Pulse 61 bpm Temperature 36.8c